Wednesday, January 6, 2010

My Music Picks for 2009 - Top 50 Songs: Part 2

Welcome to Part 2 of my top 50 songs of 2009. Here are another 10 auditory delights...

(Click here to view Part 1.)

11. Don't You Evah | Spoon | Rock/Pop. Spoon has been around for awhile, but I just got around to checking out their albums in 2009. I was particularly drawn to their 2007 album Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga, which is filled with great rock and pop songs. I could have picked 4-5 songs that could make my top 50, but I probably played Don't You Evah a little bit more than the others. Enjoy.



12. Mayor | Pac Div | Hip-Hop/Retro. Mayor is a great west-coast throwback party song and I can't understand why this wasn't a pop hit. It will make you feel so good that you might run for mayor!



13. Don't Wait Too Long | Madeleine Peyroux | Jazz/Retro. Madeleine channels her best Billy Holiday on Don't Wait Too Long. I thought this was a cover of a jazz standard, but it's actually an original composition. Turn down the lights, grab a glass of wine, lay down on your couch and check it out...


14. Ticket 4 2 | Camp Lo | Hip-Hop/Indie. I've been one of Camp Lo's biggest fans over the years and I'm proud to say that I have every one of their albums. (You might be surprised how many albums they have!) This is the lead single from the first of TWO albums they released in 2009, Stone & Rob: Caught on Tape. It has the smooth melody, signature lyrics and distinct delivery that you would expect from a Camp Lo hit, albeit with a more uptempo beat than usual. They really haven't changed their formula since 1996 and with songs like this, I hope they never do!



15. Honey Dove | Lee Fields & The Expressions | R&B/Retro. Lee Fields, an underground sultry soul singer from the 70's, released a new album in 2009 with his band The Expressions. Honey Love will make you feel like you are slow-dragging with a hot mama at a house party in '77. Dig it.



16. Million (feat. Krondon) | Strong Arm Steady | Hip-Hop/Hardcore. I don't listen to as much gangsta rap as I used to, but I've been a big fan of Krondon since I heard him melt a mic with his Always/Never freestyle on Sway & Tech's Wake Up Show in the late 90's. On Million, he wraps hardcore rhymes around a chopped-up sample of a woman singing: "a million to one". Truly sick...



17. Parallel Lines | Junior Boys | Electronic/Downtempo. When I think of electronic music, I usually don't think of soul. Parallel Lines shatters this perception into a thousand pieces. (Oh, the video is cool too. I love those old black & white clips...)



18. Be Alright | Skillz | Hip-Hop/Indie. At the beginning of 2009, DJ Stylus put me up on Skillz' The Million Dollar Backpack album in his best of 2008 music round-up. Be Alright became that spring/summer jam that I would blast while driving my car with the windows down!

Skillz "Be Alright" feat. Kornbread & Aaries from Okayplayer on Vimeo.


19. Just Can't Get Enough | Nouvelle Vague | Pop/Retro. I can always listen to Depeche Mode's Just Can't Get Enough, so it was easy for me to fall in love with this French cover band's Brazilian rendition of the new wave classic.



20. So Damn Down (DJ Mix) | Tanya Morgan | Hip-Hop/Indie. Underground rap group Tanya Morgan strikes gold again with their latest album Brooklynati. So Damn Down is an up-tempo, feel-good party joint that I find myself playing over and over again.



Part 3 is coming up in a few days!

No comments:

Post a Comment